Customers using the Brightspace / Desire2Learn (D2L) learning management system can embed content from Today’s Science directly into their courses. Below, you will find instructions for installing and configuring the Today’s Science Insert Stuff Framework plugin (ISF).
The remote plugin provides a rich integration between Today’s Science and your D2L courses. Users of D2L will able to embed Today’s Science resources directly into their courses, without having to leave the LMS. This plugin is LTI based and integrates directly into the standard D2L ISF button found wherever the HTML editor is within D2L.
Prerequisites for Installing the Today’s Science ISF Plugin:
- You must have your own instance of Desire2Learn running.
- You must have an active Today’s Science subscription.
- Your LTI Access Key and Secret which can be obtained from Today’s Science support.
Remote Plugin Installation:
- Login to your D2L instance as an administrator with access to install and configure remote plugins.
- Click on the Admin Tools menu and select Remote Plugins.
- Click on the "New Remote Plugin" button to create a new plugin.
- You will go to the Create a new Remote Plugin page. Enter these values into the corresponding fields on the page.
- Plugin Type - Change the Plugin Type to Insert Stuff
- Name - Enter "Today’s Science" or anything else you would like to use to help identify this plugin.
- Launch Point URL - Enter: https://lti.infobase.com/LtiSearch.aspx?pID=19
- LTI Secret - Enter the secret you obtained from support.
- LTI Key - Enter the access key you obtained from support.
- System Test URL - Skip this field.
- Description - Enter your own text description of this tool, or copy this description, "Search available Today’s Science resources. A new icon will appear in your course rich editor allowing you to search Today’s Science and to embed records in your course material."
- Icon URL (16x16) - Enter: https://fod.infobase.com/images/TS_16x16.png
- Make available to: - Before this plugin will show up on the ISF menu, you need to add applicable Org Units. By default, you should see, "Current Org Unit: <your school>" listed. Before this plugin will display as an option, you need to add a second entry that includes options for all descendants. To do this. click on the "Add Org Units" button. Find your main Org unit, check the box to activate it, and then select the "All descendants" radio button. Click Insert to add this second Org Unit.
- Click the Save button to save your remote plugin.